What's the MOST Important Thing, Single Mama?


Emily, a single mom from Knoxville, sent me this question: "What's the most important thing I need to do as a single mom?"

Thanks for the question, Emily. I think there are several most important things, and among them these three come immediately to mind: (1) practice self-care, (2) manage your attitude and (3) spend quality time with your children.

As single moms, it is easy to skip the steps of taking care of ourselves. Every time we fly, we're reminded to "put the mask on yourself before putting the mask on anyone else." The same is true as moms, especially single moms. My top 5 self-care actions are these:
  • Quality time with my girlfriends
  • A hot bath and a good book
  • Weekly massage
  • Enough sleep
  • A few hours each week that require nothing of me

Having a can-do attitude is so crucial to not just surviving, but thriving! Lori, a participant in the Successful Single Mom Transformation Program, has the best attitude of just about anyone I've ever seen! While her outward conditions aren't the greatest (yet), she exclaims this is the very happiest she's ever been in her life. It is because, and only because, she chooses - daily - to be happy. So can you!

Finally, its important to spend as much quality time with our kids as possible. They are most likely having a tough time, too, and the more you read to them, play with them, and cuddle with them, the more secure and loved they will feel. I know from personal experience that when my daughter acts up, all she really wants is to feel more connected to me. Its a lesson I've "learned" more than once.

What do you think is the most important thing you need to do as a single mom? Do you do it?


You May Also Want to Read:


                                          

No comments: